Kansas City, MO — The spread of COVID-19 is raging, but utility disconnect moratoria in Kansas and Missouri have expired. While the near-term distribution of vaccines means the end of the pandemic may be in sight, in the meantime elected and utility leaders need to do everything possible to ensure the very real suffering of people is eased until the pandemic is under control.
Build Power MoKan, a coalition of organizations from Kansas and Missouri, will hold a press conference calling on monopoly electric utilities to reinstate disconnection moratoria, and if they refuse, Governor Kelly and Governor Parson should come to the aid of their struggling citizens. Build Power MoKan is a people led, bi-state energy justice organizing network working to dismantle the systems of oppression created by the utility industry.
What: Virtual press conference to discuss utility disconnections with tenants facing disconnection and advocates supporting a moratorium
When: Thursday, December 10, 2020 at 1:00PM CT
Where: The press conference will be held on Zoom. Please click here or copy the link to register: https://sierraclub.zoom.us/meeting/register/tJEode6prTorGtYP8qgQxv5N1M5KoMiuAMX5
- Ty Gorman, Campaign Representative with the Sierra Club’s Beyond Coal Campaign in Kansas
- Brandy Granados, a leader with KC Tenants
- Beto Lugo Martinez, Executive Director of CleanAirNow
- Dustin Hare from Rent Zero Kansas
- Sheila Thomas, a Missouri resident who is behind on her electric and gas and facing eviction
- Ivonne Gutierrez, a Kansas resident and community member CleanAirNow